AVLab has chosen the “Antivirus 2020”
The independent Polish IT laboratory AVLab summed up the results of the year and, on the basis of its research has chosen the “Antivirus 2020”.
AVLab is an organization that acts as the guardian of digital security on the Internet. AVLab provides up-to-date information in the field of computer security at conferences, trainings and through articles. A key feature of this laboratory is professional reviews and safety tests.
In its tests, the laboratory uses malicious tools and techniques that can bypass protection in real attacks.
AVLab annually sums up the results of the year to reward developers whose security products have successfully passed the laboratory tests.
“AVLab hopes that this information will help entrepreneurs, companies and ordinary users choose a reliable solution to protect their devices and data”, – say the representatives of the company.
To identify the most effective solution, advanced dynamic testing against common threats “Advanced in The Wild Test” is used.
This test allows evaluating the effectiveness of protection over a long-term time frame, because developers are constantly updating their products throughout the year, improving protection, fixing bugs and adding new functions.
Choosing the best solution for the year opens up the possibility of choosing the best antivirus solution for users without a strong technical background. However, the laboratory recommends taking into account the test results of different laboratories when choosing a solution. A systematic approach to choosing an antivirus will allow making the right decision.
In 2020, no one could predict how the economy would change. The pandemic changed everything dramatically. Most of the workers were forced to move to remote work.
During the pandemic from March to December 2020, there was a marked increase in email attacks. Cybercriminals sent many more messages with malicious content than in 2019 over the same period. The number of zero-day threats was on the rise, and the number of viruses increased by 131% in March 2020 compared to March 2019.
At the same time, the number of attacks not related to the topic of coronavirus has decreased. However, hackers still harass corporate and administrative networks. The Trickbot and Emotet Trojans are the most commonly used cybercriminal software and are responsible for the sudden increase in ransomware attacks on hospitals and healthcare.
Emotet has been the most active threat in recent weeks, with attacks targeting 12% of organizations globally.
The following antiviruses took part in AVLab tests in 2020:
- Avast Free Antivirus
- Avira Antivirus Pro
- Bitdefender Total Security
- Checkpoint Endpoint Security
- Comodo Advanced Endpoint Protection
- Comodo Internet Security
- Emsisoft Business Security
- ESET Smart Security Premium
- G Data Total Security
- Kaspersky Total Security
- MKS-VIR Internet Security
- SecureAPlus Pro
- Trend Micro Maximum Security
- Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus
- Webroot Business Endpoint Protection
- Windows Defender
- ZoneAlarm Extreme Security
Test results in 2020
Antivirus 2020 according to AVLab
To receive the title “Antivirus of the Year”, test participants had to fulfill two conditions:
- Participate in all tests “Advanced In The Wild Test” 2020
- Block all threats in all test sessions
The antivirus could not receive a unique certificate if:
- An antivirus was unable to block at least one sample in one of the tests. In addition, a product that participated in all tests and blocked 100% of threats receives a better final score than a product that participated in only one test.
- Antivirus could not participate in all test releases. Some developers have declared their willingness to participate in the security review only once to obtain a certificate.
The following antiviruses received the title of “Antivirus 2020”:
- Avast Free Antivirus: The product participated in all rounds of testing, blocked 6713 out of 6713 malicious samples, which corresponds to 100% protection against real attacks.
- Comodo Advanced Endpoint Protection: the product also participated in all rounds of testing, blocked absolutely all threats and showed 100% reliability of protection.
- Comodo Internet Security: showed error-free detection and blocked all test threats in all testing rounds.
- SecureAPlus Pro: Participated in all testing rounds and blocked all 6,713 test samples.